Monday, August 24, 2009

The LoadDown - 08/24/2009

We interrupt the Great Scott Project for our weekly downloadable console games roundup:

WiiWare -- Mr. Driller W, Namco's latest iteration of the franchise spun off from Dig-Dug back in the Dreamcast era. It doesn't appear to have online play -- I know the XBLA version had issues in that area when it first released -- but is a great concept that's very playable.

Virtual Console -- As recently announced, Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back arrives, continuing the Lucasarts trilogy for the SNES, with platforming action and Mode 7 vehicle sequences recreating the best/darkest episode of George Lucas' best mythmaking ever.

DSiWare -- Pop+ Solo -- another puzzle game, based on the passable WiiWare title Pop.

XBLA -- Last Wednesday saw the final Summer of Arcade release, and from everything I've heard it's a great one: Shadow Complex, set in the universe of Orson Scott Card's novel Empire, with Metroidvania-style gameplay. I plan to check this one out myself, but 'Splosion Man is keeping me occupied for the moment. I am hoping we see more of Telltale's Wallace & Gromit series now that the Arcade season is over.

P.S. I don't generally cover the PS3 downloadable scene, but I hear Fat Princess is out and by all accounts fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment